Caption: Circuit Breakers, Laramie County 4H Club pose after showing their 2022-2023 videos at the Laramie County Library.
CyberWyoming Alliance announced a challenge for students in grades 6-12 to learn about internet-connected medical devices and how to protect them, fostering cybersecurity awareness within the community and equipping Wyoming’s youth with vital employability skills.
The Cyber-In-A-Box School Video Challenge is in its third year with the challenge topic of medical internet of things items, encouraging students to research how to protect smart watches to insulin pumps to MRI machines.
“The hope is that teachers and club sponsors will book a tour with their local hospital to talk to the IT people there, see the internet connected devices that are used to treat patients and run the hospital, and show the students the careers in Wyoming’s medical industry,” said Laura Baker, President of the CyberWyoming Alliance.
Each team of up to 5 students receives $100 and t-shirts to make a cyber safety video, which is then posted on the Wyoming State Library’s website.
“We are thrilled with the response we received from the students and schools who participated in the Cyber-In-A-Box School Video Challenge last year and are even using a gaming safely video made by a team from Laramie High School for a public service announcement,” said Laura Baker, co-founder and President of CyberWyoming Alliance. “The money we received from our generous donors during WyoGives 2023 will help us sponsor even more teams this year.”
- Registration deadline: Nov 15, 2023. Register at https://www.cyberwyoming.org/cyber-in-a-box/
- Video recording & editing by teams: October 2023 – March 1, 2024
- Judging completed: March 30, 2024
- Statewide virtual premiere and awards: April 18, 2024, at 2 p.m. Zoom link to be announced.
Learning Objectives and Skills Include:
- Script writing, communication, and storytelling
- Video filming, production, and direction
- Video editing techniques
- Research techniques
- Employability skills such as work attitudes & values, communication and interpersonal communications, video technology, teamwork, and understanding of the audience.
Teachers or mentors interested in the program can view a detailed video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBsQirNeUZ8.
Contact CyberWyoming at email@example.com for information about the 2023-2024 Challenge.